Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sensing Change

The smell, it is always the same and always so distinct. It is how I can tell that the last of summer is ebbing away and fall is at our doorstep. It is how the trees know that their lush green leaves will start changing into the majestic last hurrah before they are gone. It is a crisp clean smell that tells the sky to change from the brightest blue to a lighter more subtle shade. It is how the insects know to get their fill of life before the long sleep of winter. It is the smell of harvest. The plants that have been nurtured and loved for months are finally ready to bear their fruits. So while I can see that the leaves are lightening at their tips, I can feel the breeze growing cooler, I can hear the rain that so often accompanies autumn, and I can taste the harvested fruits, it is the smell that truly tells me. Summer has died, giving way to the next season in the never ending cycle.

1 comment: